Embodiment of knowledge is Guru

Bangalore Ashram, India
16 June 2010

Q: Dear Guruji, Guru Gobind Singh made warriors, each one of which was capable of handling many negative powers. What is your vision for the warriors that you are polishing?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
First, we are to fight against the evil of ignorance. There are so many problems in the society today – corruption, exploitation of environment, starvation, powers opposing spirituality, and anti humanity powers. These all have to be defeated.

Q: Is there anything beyond space?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
Beyond space?me!

Q: I am in a dilemma. I used to revere Guru Granth Sahib as my Guru. But after meeting you, I have found the inner joy which I was looking for. Now I am confused whether to have faith in you as a Guru, or in the Granth Sahib?


Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: Where is the dilemma? Guru Granth Sahib is a very sacred scripture. One should definitely respect it. Guru is not a person; Guru is knowledge, whether it is in a scripture, a person, or consciousness. That Guru tattva is to be revered and believed in. Our mind only creates complication, otherwise there is no dilemma. Guru Granth Sahib contains the crux of all scriptures. So, respect the scripture. There is no question of choosing here.

Mother is our first Guru.

School teacher is our second Guru.

Then music teacher is also a Guru.

And one who gives knowledge of the truth is Satguru.

When Guru tattva wakes up in life, it is not partially awakened, it stays completely. So, live naturally. Rejoice and live in love and joy.

Q: How can I get more happiness and joy from everywhere?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
This race of more and more is killing us. More and more and more – How can I get more? Relax my dear. We don’t even have enough time to enjoy what we have. We should think how can I be more useful to the society, how can I serve more? One who is always thinking of getting something is like a beggar. Everything comes to the one who thinks how she/he can contribute more to the society. There won’t be any lack for such a person.

Q: My sister called me in the morning. She was crying because her son is suffering from an incurable disease, and his condition was not well. I could not be physically present there. I closed my eyes and prayed to you. At 4 o’clock in the evening, she called me saying that her son is doing well. All I want to know is how it is possible that I am sitting here and praying from here makes things better there?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
This is a trade secret. It is easy to be popular but it is difficult to be a Guru. A Guru has responsibility along with.

“That which you cannot express is Love.
That which you cannot reject/renounce is Beauty.
That which you cannot avoid is the Truth.”
~ Sri Sri Ravishankar

art of living TV
© The Art of Living Foundation